There exists a little known, special relationship between mold and air conditioning coils

Ironically, the air conditioning you rely on to keep your air fresh and healthy and cool in the summer, may be doing just the opposite. The coil of your air conditioner is always damp when it is running, which means it is an ideal environment in which mold can breed and thrive.

One way to help with this problem is to use a proper filter — that means one with a MERV (Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value) rating of 8, or 11 if you have allergies. A good filter will capture mold spores and prevent them from spreading throughout your home.

Oddly enough, high efficiency air conditioners today can actually cool air too quickly. That means they often run for shorter time periods and thus remove less moisture from the air. A good way to counter this problem is to set the thermostat up a degree or two to help your air conditioner run for longer periods of time and remove unwanted moisture from the air.

If you live in hot zones where swamp coolers are in use, your swamp cooler may be a breeding ground for mold and mildew. A swamp cooler uses evaporative cooling to reduce the air temperature. In short, the cooler is pumping humidified air through your ducts, providing plenty of moisture for mold and mildew to flourish and grow. It’s a good idea to have your ducts cleaned every year or every couple of years and to check for mold and mildew growth.

Another good way to help control mold in your home, particularly in basements, is to make sure the humidity level remains below 50%. A dehumidifier is a great way to get rid of this unwanted moisture.

Finally, air movement is critical in the fight against mold. Use fans and vents strategically in your home to help evaporate unwanted moisture, especially in bathrooms and kitchen where water and steam is constantly added to the air. Your dryer should be vented to the outside and not into attic areas.

If your home does develop mold, try tackling the problem with Mold Off®. Mold Off® kills mold at its roots, unlike bleach, which only removes surface mold, leaving it free to grow again.

Mold Off® works on any surface in your home – from carpet to tile, wood to cloth. It contains no chlorine bleach and is environmentally friendly and biodegradable so it is safe for the environment, children and pets.

Recent Posts

Testimonials

I live in a very humid environment. I purchased a very expensive suit-jacket and slacks. Went to put on the jacket and thought I had paint spots on the edge, but found out from the cleaners that it was mold/mildew. They treated it and it was back in two weeks. I tried a number of products to resolve the problem. Then I found your product on-line and sprayed a small amount on the jacket and prayed. Next day, it was totally gone, but back in smaller amounts a few weeks later. Sprayed it again – the bonus was the product smells fresh, not horrid! It went away and has not come back. I still spray that one pocket every 3-4 months just in case. It is black, by the way, and no color problems at all from your product. I also sprayed the walls of my closet three times, a week apart, and no more black spots.

- Dene