Have you ever gotten your RV out of storage in the spring and been surprised to discover mold has grown over the winter. Mold can grow anywhere there is warmth and moisture, which makes your RV, camper or other recreational vehicle an ideal location for it to flourish. In particular, mold can flourish in places like the ventilation system, under carpets, in the refrigerator and bathroom and under the seats.
Here are some helpful tips to help you store your recreational vehicle over the winter without unpleasant surprises in the spring:
- Wash and wax your vehicle to prevent dust or dirt buildup and to deprive mold of the food it needs to grow.
- Disconnect the battery. If the RV is stored in a harsh climate take the battery out and store it in a more moderate, climate-controlled area.
- Use pads to park your rig with the tires off the ground to prevent soft spots.
- Turn off pilot lights and turn off the propane at the source.
- Drain all water from your rig including hot and fresh water tanks, and all hot and cold lines.
- Turn the refrigerator off, defrost and wipe it dry. Leave the door propped open a little bit so air can circulate.
- Seal all outside openings to prevent critters from taking up residence inside.
- Use a breathable cover to avoid condensation forming between the cover and RV, or park it inside a garage or facility. Consult an RV dealer on where to purchase a cover.
- Wipe down all surfaces inside and out and make sure carpets are dry.
Last but not least, spray Mold Off® on surfaces most likely to grow mold. Mold Off® is a green, eco-friendly, pH neutral and biodegradable mold removal product that destroys mold at the source. The product is safe for all vehicle surfaces, yet cleans better than the other harsh products on the market, and it won’t cause any dangerous health issues. Mold Off® is simple to use. Just spray it on and walk away. Mold Off® will do the work for you.