Molds produce tiny spores to reproduce. The spores waft through the indoor and outdoor air continually. When mold spores land on a damp spot indoors, they may begin to grow and digest whatever they are growing on in order to survive. There are molds that can grow on wood, paper, carpet, and foods. When excessive moisture or water accumulates indoors, mold growth will often occur, particularly if the moisture problem remains undiscovered or un-addressed. There is no practical way to eliminate all mold and mold spores in the indoor environment; the way to control indoor mold growth is to control moisture.
Here are the top 10 things you should know about mold:
- It is impossible to eliminate all mold and mold spores in your home or business, boat or car, but you can control it by controlling moisture in these locations.
- Vent bathrooms, dryer and other moisture generating sources to the outside.
- Reduce indoor humidity to between 30 – 60% indoors by using a humidifier. This will create an environment where mold cannot flourish and grow.
- Use exhaust fans in kitchen when cooking or wash dishes, and in the bathroom when showering or bathing.
- Allergic reactions, asthma and respiratory complaints are symptoms frequently associated with exposure to mold.
- If you have a leak or water damage from flood or storm, fix the damage immediately and dry everything out as quickly as possible.
- Materials like drywall and ceiling tiles that absorb moisture should probably be replaced as it is very difficult to remove all the water from them.
- Condensation on cold surfaces can be another source of moisture in your home or business that will allow mold to flourish. Add insulation to windows, exterior walls, flooring, roofs and chimneys to reduce condensation.
- Do not install carpeting in areas where moisture could be a problem — like around sinks, toilets and showers.
- The most important thing to know about mold is that you have to get rid of it as soon as possible. Left untreated, mold can cause major damage to your home, boat, car, RV, business or outdoor area.
Mold Off® is a powerful, effective and eco-friendly tool that will remove mold and mildew from dozens of surfaces. Formulated for the marine industry, but unsurpassed for any mildew control, it removes mold and mildew stains without scrubbing. It does not contain chlorine bleach, is environmentally friendly and biodegradable, and can remove mold and mildew from any surface.