Memorial Day Weekend was certainly a wet introduction to the summer season, and most eastern states were hit with flood-level waters for at least a brief period. Subtropical storm Alberto was taking aim at the Gulf Coast, while a separate storm system caused flooding as far north as New York and Maryland.

Localized flooding remains a concern, especially where an abundance of rain has fallen throughout May and storms hit repeatedly over the holiday weekend and even the following week. Torrential rain inundated areas in between Philadelphia and New York City. Water rescues were necessary for Mercer County, New Jersey, where 5.54 inches of rain poured down in just three hours.

This heavy rain gave way to drenching thunderstorms across the southern mid-Atlantic, including Washington, D.C., Virginia, North Carolina, and South Carolina. A few of the thunderstorms kicked up gusty winds reminiscent of hardier storms. Because of weeks of steady rainfall, it will take less than an inch of rain in one hour for flash flooding to ensure across much of the mid-Atlantic.

Various locations inland suffered flooding as heavy rainfall swelled nearby creeks and rivers and overwhelmed drainage systems. Biltmore Village, just outside Asheville, North Carolina was flooded, as well as the streets of Dollywood, a theme park in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee. Heavy rains throughout North Carolina caused rivers to rise into northeast Tennessee, causing some minor roads to be covered with water.

Flooding and Mold

Mold can create serious health problems for residents recovering from severe storms and flooding. Excess moisture in the home is cause for concern about indoor air quality primarily because it provides breeding conditions for pests, molds, and other microorganisms. Moisture accumulates in hidden areas after flood waters have abated, such as wall and appliance insulation and porous wood building materials. Within 24 to 48 hours, mold can form and begin growing on these wet materials.

Molds have the potential to cause health problems. Molds produce allergens (substances that can cause allergic reactions) and irritants. Inhaling or touching mold or mold spores may cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals. Allergic responses include hay fever-type symptoms such as sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rash. Allergic reactions to mold are common. Molds can also cause asthma attacks in people with asthma who are allergic to mold.

Mold Removal Can Be a Difficult Task

During a flood cleanup, the indoor air quality in your home or office may appear to be the least of your problems. However, failure to remove contaminated materials and to reduce moisture and humidity can present serious long-term health risks. Standing water and wet materials are a breeding ground for microorganisms like mold. They can cause disease, trigger allergic reactions, and continue to damage materials long after the flood.

Because flood waters penetrate virtually everything as they rise, cleanup and mold removal after a flood is a difficult task. A basic rule to follow is, if the material got wet, rip it out and replace it. This is true for flooring, insulation, wallboard, appliances, furniture, and any other material or item that can absorb water.

Even more, difficulties arise with solid materials that cannot be easily removed and replaced in a flooded structure, such as concrete floors, block walls, and vital framing components. If these are impossible or too costly to remove, they must be thoroughly dried and cleaned to prevent the onset and growth of mold.

Remove Mold with MoldOff®

MoldOff® is a powerful and stunningly effective mold removal spray. Remove mold and mildew from dozens of surfaces without scrubbing, and with no discolorations. Developed by a physicist with numerous patents in chemistry and biology, MoldOff® is the only available mildew stain remover that does not contain chlorine or bleach. The result is a product that is both highly effective and environmentally friendly.

MoldOff® is an eco-friendly, pH neutral, and biodegradable mold removal product. It is safe for humans and pets yet cleans better than other harsh chemicals.

MoldOff® is easy to use:

  • Spray an even coating over mold or mildew on surfaces
  • Within 24-48 hours, mold and mildew will be gone
  • 1 quart of material will cover 150-250 square feet
  • Where mold has been present for an extended time, lightly scrub with a soft brush
  • In some case, more than one application may be needed

Order Your MoldOff® Products Today

As you engage in recovering from the east coast storms, let MoldOff® be a vital tool in your cleaning and restoration arsenal. Safely treat any surface or material to eliminate mold and mildew and protect it from future growth. And, don’t worry about using it around your children or pets; MoldOff® is completely safe and biodegradable. Order online in different quantities for your particular needs. For more information or questions you can contact us online.

Shop Now

Recent Posts

Testimonials

Thank you for such a great product. As you can see from the photos my leather chaps were covered with mold from laying in a wet truck bed for weeks. I thought they were ruined but your product did a great job and didn’t harm them in any way… not even the rough dyed side, as you can see by the pictures below. Thanks again!

- David Brickley; Fort Wayne, Indiana